The Institute of the Environment (IE) offers grants to bring exceptional seminar speakers to campus that further IE’s goal of connecting and informing interdisciplinary environmental researchers from campus and our greater community. Grants are open to IE-affiliated faculty and campus student organizations.
- Amounts from $200 to $1,000 will be awarded for speaker’s travel and lodging only.
- Although we anticipate that most speakers will present in departmental colloquium series, such seminars should be open to the campus. In addition, we request that speakers participate in a separate event designed for interaction with graduate students (such as a roundtable discussion) or the local community.
- IE will assist in promoting the events, but those proposing and hosting the speaker will be responsible for all logistics and the campus visit.
- IE must receive speaker details (speaker name and affiliation, talk title, talk date, time, and location) at least three weeks prior to the speaker's visit to ensure adequate time to promote the event across campus; funding may be withheld if sufficient notice is not provided.
- IE funding must be acknowledged at the events.
- Request must be made by an IE affiliate or from a recognized campus student organization.
- Only one speaker will be funded per department or student group per year.
- Potential for the speaker to attract a broad campus and/or community audience.
- Interdisciplinary topic related to the environment, particularly the Southwest.
- Potential for direct speaker interaction with students or the community.
- Indication of additional support and/or funding for this speaker.
- Partial awards may be made based on funding availability and how well the proposal meets the above criteria.
Deadlines for FY2019
- Applications will be accepted and awarded on a rolling basis until funding is exhausted.
- Speakers must complete their trip to campus by May 1, 2019.
- Expenses must be processed within 30 days after the speaker visit.
- Reporting is due 30 days after the speaker visit.
More information on how to apply here